Sunday 16 January 2011

Matt's cordurory trousers






On Friday, my husband came home from work with a tear in his jeans, making them unwearable! Poor Matt is a little neglected on the sewing front as everything else comes first and was desperately in need of some more trousers.
Matt has been my guinea pig with trousers allowing me to refine my technique. Avoiding the ‘homemade look’ is all in the top stitching and detailing - and I’ve found this takes practice! I use a burda pattern (7915) but have adapted and added to it to get the perfect fit. 
This weekend, I ran up a pair of trousers for him in a lovely green/brown chunky wale corduroy. The inside of the waist band and fly underlap is a remanent of fabric which looks very Paul Smith. Both of these fabrics were bought from a great place called the Croft Mill which sells left over fabrics from the clothes industry. 
Now I have an overlocker (serger) I cut out the fabric and then finish all the seams with a three thread overlock; overlocking the seams before stitching saves so much time. The rest of the trousers are stitched on the machine, the only hand stitching is the button. Using the machine for the stitching ensure that they stand up to the tough life my husband gives them!

No comments:

Post a Comment