Wednesday 18 May 2011

Our daily constitutional

Everyday, since my maternity leave started, Gladys and I try to go for a walk. We promenade round the village in her vintage Silver Cross pram which I am still using as I love it so much. Gladys loves sitting up high and seeing everything, and is always asking to go out for a walk.

Now Gladys is walking I want to encourage her to jump in and out of the pram, and use her own two feet as much as possible. This is easy to do if we walk through the park as she can stroll in her random way quite safely - on the pavement I really have to have my wits about me.

Gladys is a good girl who wants to walk next to me and hold my hand the majority of the time - but she has Matthew's fiercely independent streak which I can see defining her character as the days tick by. After much thought, and reading of articles and listening to opinions, I have decided to use baby reins (such a horrid name, I prefer the American term 'walking harness' as it doesn't sound like she has a bit through her teeth), and get her used to them sooner rather than later.

I looked on the internet at the ones available and there were really cute little rucksacks with a strap but they would be uncomfortable for sitting back in the pram, and the old fashioned ones that look like dog leads. I did like the vest style ones but they looked so practical - and I hate things that look practical. So I have made my own.



It is a simple bodice, the outer is heavy duty cotton fabric and the inner lightweight cotton print - meaning it is breathable. There is a grosgrain ribbon double stitched to the front and the bodice buttons down the back. The strap is secured in the middle of the back with a vintage buckle I had in my stash box. So she won't trip when we don't need the strap I can wrap it round her waist and hold in place with the buckle.

We tried it out this afternoon and Gladys was happy, so I was happy. Just gives a little bit of piece of mind for me.



4 comments:

  1. Sarah Wallbank x18 May 2011 at 11:53

    Can I order one now please! ;o) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww gladys is growing so quickly and I'm loving the fact she is so independent. I have a similar prob with paige. We brought a harness as horrid as it sounds and it looks just as bad. I love your design and it looks comfortable for them to wear, unlike the harness. Would you need paiges measurements before we ordered one? I'm also reccomending this to all my friends who also have little ones. Fantastic design hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sarah and Shelly. I am happy to make you both one too - I've sent you a message on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea and it looks so much better than those 'reins'.You will have lots of orders for it.. x

    ReplyDelete