Sunday 6 February 2011

Flower embroidery

One of the things I love to collect are vintage embroidered tablecloths. Often, when I am in charity shops, I see them for sale.

I imagine someone spending hours, bent double, working on the flowers, then only using it for Sunday teas as it would have taken so much work to complete they wouldn't want it getting ruined. It makes me sad to then think that it has just been discarded by relatives and dumped in the charity shop, where they sell for £1.50. I have an airing cupboard full of hand worked linen now, so much that my husband has banned me from buying them!

I find embroidery relaxing: watching the thread, hearing it pull through the weave of the taut fabric, and seeing the image gradually develop before your eyes...

But the old style of embroidery isn't for everyone so I have tried to do a modern take on flowers. I drew the flower illustrations in Adobe Illustrator, and printed them onto the cotton before hand embroidering. There is only a little stitching as I really wanted to catch the detail and bring some texture and avoid it looking over fussy.








Which one is your favourite?

2 comments:

  1. I think the last one with the little blue flowers is my fave, although the dandelions are really funky too. I want some! How did you print onto cotton? Tell tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becca, you can buy the fabric from http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/
    You just print onto it as if it were paper from your injet printer. You do have to leave it to dry out overnight before working with it.

    ReplyDelete