Wednesday 2 February 2011

Vintage sewing guides: Simplicity's guide to fashion fabrics

I am a self-taught dressmaker. I am never one to brag, but I feel I was born to sew - it just makes sense!

I like to get together with people who share my passion and although you hear in the media all about 'young' people taking up knitting and sewing, we are few and far between. I do get together with like-minded crafters for a craft night once a month with the Trefoil guild in Staplehurst. I look forward to this evening so much.

Each time we learn a new craft skill (beeding, card making, sewing, etc). The ladies that I meet are full of experience and most of them have been crafting for years and are now Grandmas (which means they can talk about their grandchildren and I can go on about Gladys without boring each other).

In my church there is a lady called Gill, she used to be a home economics teacher and is currently moving from the family home to one for her retirement. Going through the loft she came across a box full of educational materials from the 1960s, thankfully, before they went in recycling she thought of me! It is so important that these skills and materials are handed down to the next generation; one of the reasons I am learning to knit is so I can teach Gladys.

Over the next few weeks I am going to rummage through the box and share the interesting ones with you, I thought I would start with Simplicity's guide to fashion fabrics.



This handout cost two shillings and is dated 1965. It is a 12 page black printed booklet, with a photograph of the fabric types on the front, and illustrations of women wearing the different fabrics inside.

It starts of with 'Ten Important Guides' on how to treat all fabrics; there is nothing new here for me but it is always good to remind yourself. The guide presumes you know all the basics and is aimed at advanced sewers wanting to experiment with new fabric types








Over the remaining pages it goes over the following fabric types; stretch; laminated and bonded fabrics; plaids and stripes; knits; mohair and diagonal fabrics; nap and pile fabrics; deep pile or fur-like fabrics; sheers; lace; and leather and suede. For each fabric type it covers purchasing, patterns, preparations, cutting and marking, sewing machine settings, pressing and sewing tips.



I can see this guide becoming well used. I find it difficult to find new sewing references that go into this much detail; I can't wait to see what else is in the box!

This Thursday is my evening craft night - we are doing something Valentines related - and I will let you know more when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment