Friday 11 February 2011

My wardrobe for the spring/summer

Up until I became pregnant with Gladys I loved to look at the catwalk, find out what the key trends were for the coming season, and then translate my favourites into my wardrobe (long before Gok). When I was pregnant I stopped buying Vogue as it got me down that I couldn't fit into the latest fashions, and made up my own maternity wardrobe. The last two seasons I have been in a fashion wilderness; struggling to love my new body shape, and fit into clothes that make me feel good. Thankfully some of my body confidence is coming back, I am learning what styles suit me now, and are appropriate for my new lifestyle. 

One of the downsides of being at home is you can get very lazy about how you look and what you wear. We have a 'sloppy Joe day' when we clean the house which I would have never of dreamed of doing pre-Glads! 



When I go to mother-and-toddler groups everyone is wearing jeans and a top because we can just throw them on and not think about it... but I love clothes.

I feel like I have been away from fashion for a long time, so have been working to get back in touch with the latest trends, laugh at the funny things on the catwalk, and look at what key pieces I want to make for myself. I have a small list of things I would like:
Jumpsuit (more below)
Denim pinafore 
Long maxi dress in white
Fun summer dress in fuchsia or cobalt blue
Bright boyfriend style cashmere cardigan

I had a jumpsuit in the 90s when I was about 13. It was a cast off from my mum's 80s wardrobe and I used to wear it in the garden. I loved how comfortable it was and I used to feel very feminine (though I wouldn't ever be seen out in it then). My parent's garden backs onto a meadow and I used to climb over the fence with a book, and lie in the grass totally immersed in the story, wearing my flowery jumpsuit...

Two years ago I saw this pattern on an American site and bought it for $15, I was almost certain that it would suit me and it bought back memories of lazy summer days. My wardrobe has always been a little bit eccentric and I do get away with more mad clothes than most so I thought I would be able to carry it off. I never got around to making it and then fell pregnant the following summer. I have some lovely fabric I bought in Paris a couple of years ago. I did buy it with the intention of making some loose, wide fitting trousers - but the next day in Paris I found the trousers I wanted so never got round to making anything with it. I think it will be great for the jumpsuit as the fun of the garment will be balanced with the serious grown-up birdseye fabric. 




I have made a toile and was surprised at how nice it looked. With this style of bodice is needs to fit perfect and the fitting is in the cut, rather than darts, so I have made a few adjustments (with the aid of Matt and my pincushion). It is now all cut it out and overlocked! I am hoping to finish over the weekend so hopefully I will be able to post some pictures on Monday.

What are your plans for your spring/summer wardrobe this year?


1 comment:

  1. Hi How about making me a jump suit ...not like your,well a bit like your xx but having had one before in the 1990's they are the most comfy item of clothing in the world. please let me know. mum xx

    ReplyDelete